Re: Queries on Single Sourcing

Subject: Re: Queries on Single Sourcing
From: lyndsey -dot- amott -at- docsymmetry -dot- com
To: Jan Henning <henning -at- r-l -dot- de>
Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2004 12:15:28 -0500

Jan Henning writes:

You have not quite been single-sourcing (unless I misunderstood you): Single-sourcing involves continued linking between text parts. I.e., boilerplate text - that is copied and pasted into a new document - is not single-sourcing because a change to the text module does not automatically propagate to all other instances of the text.
This is not to say that boilerplate text is somehow generally inferior - it just is not single sourcing.

Well, let's say that you have boilerplate text in a template. You change the boilerplate in the template, and all new docs created with the template have the changes. You could even use the dreaded "Automatically update styles" feature to ensure that the changes are also made in all currently-being-worked-on docs, as long as the template is kept on the network and not on the author's hard drive. But you can't automatically update multiple templates, which, I guess, is one of the many areas (as I said, I'm beginning to see the wonderful possibilities!) in which ss improves the method.
Here endeth my conversion from Luddite to the Light.
Lyndsey Amott
www.docsymmetry.com
2-271 Aubrey Street
Winnipeg, MB R3G 2J3