RE: It's what It's

Subject: RE: It's what It's
From: Watson Laughton <wlaughton -at- orphan -dot- com>
To: 'Elizabeth O'Shea' <elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com>, 'TECHWR-L' <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 2004 08:49:53 -0600

> Elizabeth stated:
>
> Yes, English speakers in Europe use 'which' instead of 'that'
> all the time, intending the same meaning as 'that' has.

Oh, OK. They use 'which' instead of 'that', but not 'that' instead of
'which', correct? So they actually "seldom observe the distinction" only in
one direction. When I see people write that (and even more so when I hear
them speak it), it seems (at least to my ears) that they're trying to sound
'learned', sort of à la "between she and I". Unfortunately, in both cases
it backfires (or makes no difference, if the reader/ listener doesn't
distinguish either).