RE: RoboHelp for FrameMaker

Subject: RE: RoboHelp for FrameMaker
From: Martha J Davidson <editrix -at- nemasys -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2004 17:19:32 -0800

At 05:06 PM 2/19/2004 -0800, T. Word Smith asked:

But, how real-world is this? If I have FrameMaker
content, I want press, PDF, and online help. If I'm
targeting multiple platforms, I choose one kind of
online help that fits the bill for all: WebWorks Help.

How many projects will you have where you need HLP,
CHM, and WebHelp all from the same FM source?

In fact, I find myself in exactly this situation. The first release of our software uses JavaHelp. However, in a future release, one version of the product will be integrated with the Eclipse platform, which uses HTML pages with an XML TOC in a particular format. To generate this, I plan to start with the Dynamic HTML template in WWP.

We'll still need JavaHelp for one set of customers, and now we'll also need Eclipse-style help. So, now from one Frame book, I'll generate PDF, JavaHelp, and Eclipse-based help. Being able to generate two help formats from a single project would be a wonderful thing.

martha
--
Martha Jane {Kolman | Davidson}
Dances With Words

"Everything should be made as simple as possible, but no simpler."
--Albert Einstein