Re: Converting American English to British English

Subject: Re: Converting American English to British English
From: "T. Word Smith" <techwordsmith -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 23 Feb 2004 06:14:33 -0800 (PST)

I must disagree.

This is technical writing, not an episode of Matlock
<g>. Search and replace with an intelligent technical
writer at the wheel will be fine ... for most things,
especially computing ones.

--- ellis -at- cherryleaf -dot- com wrote:

> You should use a British editor because:
>
> 1. Some words (e.g. should) have a different meaning
> in the UK and the
> States.

They do. But not technical writing ones, right? I
suppose this goes back to the original poster, what
are you documenting?

> 2. Your examples might be meaningless. I once saw a
> manual that had been
> localised by an american into British English where
> all the examples had
> people living in Oxford Street and Hyde Park. And
> don't get me started on
> Kevin "by nightfall we'll be in Nottingham" Costner,
> Dick Van Dyke and the
> "Friends" episodes in London.

ROFL! Can we get you started on Mel Gibson painted
blue? <g>

These are social things, right, not likely to intrude
on technical writing ... much?

> Ellis
> (off to salute the queen, have a cup of tea and
> polish my "derby")

Derby who?! <vbg>

=====
T.

"Money makes the world go 'round is an incomplete statement; money is the fuel, and stupidity is the short bus that burns it." (Bill Swallow-02/04)

http://antispam.yahoo.com/tools