RE: RE: Why should a tech writer learn XML?

Subject: RE: RE: Why should a tech writer learn XML?
From: "Wade Courtney" <courtney -at- hsq -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 09:53:01 -0700

We don't know what they value as we can't read their minds. They may very
well value the results of usability studies, but they also have (in a lot of
cases) a project manager, engineering manager, and a product manager
breathing down their necks to implement the latest customer requested
feature and to do it by the time the code is frozen the next day. So they
really don't have the time to worry about innovative new solutions to a
problem when a solution already exists. Every software company I have
worked for emphasizes the creation of reusable code.

> My concern is that developers don't value the results of the usability
research as much as they value dropping
> in some existing code for something that doesn't challenge them to give
them more time to work on the really
> cool stuff (which the user might not even care about).

> In my experience, most developers see ALOT more value in getting something
done as quickly as possible that's
> "kinda-right" from the User's perspective, then to take twice as long to
get it exactly right from the User's
> perspective.

This is just the way the cookie crumbles.

> And I know you aren't going to say that by using existing code, they are
assured of meeting their schedules...

No but it gives them a fighting chance.

Wade

PLUS Great discounts on RoboHelp training. OFFER EXPIRES April 30th!
Call 1-800-358-9370 or visit: http://www.ehelp.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com