Re: 2 weeks !

Subject: Re: 2 weeks !
From: Sharon Burton <sharon -at- anthrobytes -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 5 May 2004 12:15:44 -0700

What CAN you do in 2 weeks? Write up the outline for what can reasonably be
accomplished in 2 weeks with time estimates for each section. Include time for
reviews and final copy edits. Take this to your boss and start talking. Show
what can be done in 2 weeks, 3 weeks, 6 weeks, with outlines and time estimates
for each section of the outlines. Use 40 hour weeks.

This is not unreasonable - you have been told how much time you have. Now you
tell them what is possible in the time you have. And everyone starts to
negotiate.

My guess is in 80 hours, you can manage install and troubleshooting. And this
may be fine - there may be a big deal riding on this product and ANYTHING is
good. With every week added, you can add another section.

Regardless of the time frame you have, you CAN produce a manual. The extent to
which the manual is complete and covers everything it needs to is the part that
is negotiable.

Bring your boss real numbers. Without that, you're just whining. And no one
likes a whiner! But with numbers, you have something real to talk about.

sharon

Sharon Burton
CEO, Anthrobytes Consulting
www.anthrobytes.com
909-369-8590

Quoting dan -dot- gallagher -at- pulsartech -dot- com:
> My employer has been developing a new multi-processor controlled comm. box
> for over a year now. I repeatedly asked and prodded them regarding my
> documentation duties to no avail. I've tried to talk with developers and
> engineers about the product during it's development to try and learn about
> it.
>
> Now I get this email from my boss's protoge saying they need a new manual
> for this very complex box in two weeks. I don't think I can produce a
> manual for this thing in two weeks. I haven't said anything to them yet
> though, I'm waiting to hear from you all.
>
> (not crying or whining) I find it somewhat inequitable that everyone on the
> team had unlimited time to work on their parts, but then I get two weeks.
> Pardon me but I'm a little ticked off right now. I'll do the best I can but
> I don't think I can guarantee a manual within two weeks.

>From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed
http://www.doctohelp.com

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com