RE: techwr-l digest: July 06, 2004

Subject: RE: techwr-l digest: July 06, 2004
From: "Marguerite Krupp" <mkrupp -at- cisco -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- raycomm -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Jul 2004 15:04:29 -0400

Brad (bconnatser -at- epri-peac -dot- com) asked yesterday: what is "the
the prevailing definition of an operation/user manual by content. So, in
your experience, what are the "must haves" in such a manual? Can anyone
point to a definition of such a manual?"

The STC judging criteria for the Technical Publications and Online
Communications competitions should be useful in defining characteristics, if
not content, of an operation/user manual. Check out www.stc.org. You'll have
to putz around a bit, but they're there.

In general, I would look for something that told me what it is and how to
use it. For a piece of equipment, I would also want to know the salient
parts. And for anything that I'd be likely to refer to more than once and
that's longer than a few pages, I'd look for a TOC and Index.

Marguerite
(Who just got a new high-tech chair with the worst instruction manual I've
ever seen!)

COMPONENTONE DOC-TO-HELP 7 PROFESSIONAL: From a single set of Word documents, create online Help and printed documentation. New version offers yearly subscription service, Natural Search, Modular TOC Utility, Image Map Editor, Theme Designer, Context String Editor, plus more. http://www.componentone.com/doctohelp .

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com