Re: Contract Length

Subject: Re: Contract Length
From: "Bonnie Granat" <bgranat -at- granatedit -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Sep 2004 20:56:33 -0400

Since 1999, I have exclusively worked contract positions. Most of the
time these contracts are listed as 4-6 months, but were eventually extended to 1-3 years.

The last two positions that I took were contracts that were billed as 5+ months, but in reality were closer to 5+ weeks.

Were they through an agency? If not, why don't you tell the recruiters to call the companies?

The problem that I am experiencing now, when I am dealing with a recruiting agency, is that these recruiters pause when they see the length of my last two contracts. Two separate agencies have said the same thing: "XYZ company is probably not going to ask you to interview because of the last two contracts. It doesn't look good."

After a few questions on my part, what these recruiters were trying to say is that they had assumed that I had been fired from these positions. Each has ended our conversation by saying, "I've never heard of a 4-6 week contract." As an aside, after the last conversation, I immediately found a 4-6 week position listed on Dice and emailed that to the recruiter. She didn't respond.

They think you lied to them?

I'm not quite sure what to do about this. I do not want to omit these short contracts from my resume, as that would leave a three month gap in time. Any suggestions?

This makes no sense at all. I would complain to an officer of the company that you are being unjustly prevented from competing for jobs by remarkably stupid recruiters. (Well, don't use my exact wording, okay?)

Bonnie Granat

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com