Re: Another question to ponder

Subject: Re: Another question to ponder
From: written_by -at- juno -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 02:31:02 -0600

> > Has anyone's age been a factor on a tech writing assignment?
> > Anyone else ever have a similar situation? I know that I am only
> there
> > to work, but interacting with coworkers (outside of work related
> things)
> > is inevitable.

That is an interesting question. I have always been led to believe that
age really does matter in the high tech field. Based upon what I have
read, I have always thought that only the young and vibrant should
consider silicon valley, because the children only want more children,
and it is strictly a young man's game.

Regardless of how smart the old folks are, they simply can't cut it in
the go-go world of high technology. This seems to be a commonly held
belief. Now I am not so sure. I suspect that much of what I have read is
misleading, and the walker generation will eventually be hired.

I have never had any problem interacting with the children; in or out of
the day care workplace. I am really old, dude; but I play guitar and
collect vintage guitars, banjos and amps. I can discuss WW2 (or the glory
days of the Grateful Dead) with the oldsters, and the latest Metallica
release with the stoners...er, managers. I drove a classic Barracuda. My
hair was long, and I ride a classic Harley.

I even like that new group all the kids are talking about. Those
'Lettermen' are bad and boss, man. Perhaps groovy.

I could relate to the grandmothers as easily as I could relate to the
head bangers. Our common distaste for rap music bound us together.

Perhaps the kiddys liked me because of my interests, quirks, and my
ability to speak their language. Then again, perhaps they were raised up
right proper, and they were simply humoring the old fart, who was
desperately trying to recapture his youth. It might be that they simply
respected their elders.

At least I remember a time when I was truly cool. Man.

Bob

Now includes pop-up blocker!

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com