Re: Samples Query

Subject: Re: Samples Query
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 16 Oct 2004 15:32:56 +0000

Michele Davis wrote:

So, what to do? Bury it on my site so deep it will be hard to find? Dump the sample altogether? Argh! I don't know what to do and am feeling frustrated.

I'm not going to give an opinion on whether this particular work is pornographic or offensive. However, I will observe that some people will use these words to refer to any depiction whatsoever of the unclothed human body, especially if it's female. For this reason, it's a good idea to be careful in this area.

What to do? That depends on you. If you want to be prudent, then dump the sample and then you don't need to worry about the issue.

However, if you feel that your work has been slighted, or that you want to take a position against standards that you think are misguided, then maybe you want to keep it and possibly add a note about the reactions you've received and why you're keeping the sample anyway. At the very least, you might want to warn about the content.

In the end, I suppose it depends on your own standards and what's important to you.
--
Bruce Byfield
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

"Oh, do not trust in the guidebooks, you will not find it there,
Nor try to quiz the natives; they scratch their heads and stare,
Official expeditions are forever setting sail,
But if they fall on Liberty Hall, they do not tell the tale."
- OysterBand, "Liberty Hall"

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com