RE: Samples Query

Subject: RE: Samples Query
From: "Stephen Arrants" <steve -at- microbrightfield -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 08:53:48 -0400

> OK, let's talk PC for a minute. Is it appropriate for one of my
> interviewers (not HR) to announce to me that he's gay and
> ask me whom
> I know in the gay community, since it turned out I knew his partner?

Ok, let's talk PC for a minute. It is appropriate for one of my
interviewers (not HR) to announce to me that he's Sicilian/an
ex-Microsoftie/a University of Waterloo alum/etc. and ask me whom I know
in the Sicilian/ex-Microsoftie/Waterloo alum/etc. community, since it
turned out I knew his (Sicilian)/(ex-Microsoftie)/(Waterloo alum)/(etc.)
partner?

You could take it to any extreme, you know.

What I thought when I read the original, Michele, is that perhaps he
thought you might be gay also, depending on your dress, demeanor, body
language, or interaction with his partner.

Things like that are only innappropriate if they result in harassment or
discriminate in the hiring process. Mere discomfort or confusion on the
candidate's part isn't inappropriate; it is unfortunate. It sounds like
the person interviewing you was inexperienced in the process, and
probably tried to make you feel more at ease.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com