Re: Wonky, was: Samples Query

Subject: Re: Wonky, was: Samples Query
From: "Jens Reineking" <J -dot- Reineking -at- interkomelectronic -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 16:05:17 +0200 (CEST)

>From Babylon:
English-English
wonky: shake, tottering, unsteady, unreliable

English Idioms, 2. edition
wonky: dizzy confused, woozy after falling off the horse

Jargon File
wony: [from Australian slang] yet another approximate synonym for broken. Specifically connotes a
malfunction that produces behavior seen as crazy, humorous, or amusingly perverse.

>From Google:
wonk: an insignificant student who is ridiculed as being affected or studying excessively

Does any of this fit the context?

Jens

<zitiere wer="Deb">

> Bruce Byfield wrote:
>
>> No matter what anybody thinks of the sample, this behavior seems wonky to
> me.
>> It's a little much to reject somebody on the basis of something that you
> didn't
>> have to see.
>
> Since you brought it up, what exactly does "wonky" mean? Actually, I'm more interested in
"wonkish" which was a word Candy Crawley (CNN talking head) used to describe the last
presidential debate. I've also heard the term "policy wonk."

> M-W says this of wonk: nerd.
> and this of nerd: an unstylish, unattractive, or socially inept person; especially : one
slavishly devoted to intellectual or academic pursuits

> Cheers,
> Deb

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com