Re: Consulting after RIF'd

Subject: Re: Consulting after RIF'd
From: "Sherry Michaels" <sherry -dot- michaels -at- docntrain -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:23:59 -0700

Eric says: "If you're working for a big company keep you ears open while
proposals are being prepared and try to get a feel for what the average
hourly rate charged/budgeted by the department is."

As a service provider, this would be very helpful to me. We don't like to
gouge either the clients or the consultants. So it is really important to us
to know, fairly, what the client has for budget purposes. It helps us
determine the approach to the project (it is a constraint, after all), and
it sometimes helps determine who we assign to the project.

That question seems to be one of the great mysteries in life. You have no
idea how many times I've asked a manager for budget information, and in the
mistaken notion that it increases their negotiation position or because they
honestly don't know, we wrestle with being unable to define a huge piece of
a project.

Sherry
Sherry Michaels
Michaels & Associates, LLC