Re: Difficulties with Recruiter

Subject: Re: Difficulties with Recruiter
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 15:52:06 -0800

The client's immediate need for a writer may or may not be a red
flag (it may simply be that the current writer is the company's guru
of documentation and is needed elsewhere). However, the acct
rep's attitude and treatment of you is definately a red flag about the
recruiting firm that employs her.

Since you obviously won't want to work with someone like the
acct rep any more than she would want to work with "someone like
you," and since you have multiple contracts going, it doesn't sound as
if you have much to lose by contacting the recruiter to let him know
that you don't appreciate having his acct rep come at you as if you're
some sort of desperate jobseeker and won't be interested in any future
opportunities they may have for you to repeat the experience. You've
made a good start on getting across to them that you don't need them
as badly as they would apparently like to think that you do; keep the
momentum going. But call the recruiter who originally contacted you
rather than trying to ID the acct rep's boss, because he's the one who's
going to lose out on a potential commission because the acct rep
alienated a candidate he identified.

Some other suggestions for the future: as long as you really do have
other contracts running, don't share your transportation or other
personal issues with recruiters. Let your current contracts be the
sole explanation for why you can't meet with them at their convenience.
And just because your cell phone is on doesn't mean you have to
answer it every time it rings. You have voicemail there too, right? :)

Gene Kim-Eng