Difficulties with Recruiter

Subject: Difficulties with Recruiter
From: Michele Davis <michele -at- krautgrrl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 17:15:38 -0600

Hello all,

I'm on contract right now but getting calls almost daily from recruiters. Today I received a phone call from a recruiter who pulled my resume off monster. He told me that they had a client that needed someone to start immediately b/c they had a writer onsite that they would be pulling from the project. I didn't ask why, and the why was not offered. I told him I was on contract until at least January, and then probably on call for edits during January, so I'd need some flexibility. We talked money. He said he'd have to call the account rep. to make sure my asking price was fine with the client.

He called back on my cell phone b/c my business line rang right to voice mail (I was on the phone). I called him back on my land line and he said the money was fine and he wanted me to come in and meet with them (the recruiters) tomorrow. I told him that tomorrow wouldn't work for a variety of reasons (one my current client deadline and two the fact that I had an accident and am sharing a car with the husband.) We agreed on Monday. After getting off the phone with him the AR called me on my cell phone b/c the land line rang right to voice mail. (Do people not understand the concept of voice mail? Or is there an assumption that *everyone* has call waiting?)

I asked her to call me on my land line. She insisted I come in tomorrow to meet with them. When I gave her the same reasons from above she said, "Since you have transportation problems how are you going to get to the clients site next week?" I replied that I couldn't, even with a car, since I was on deadline with another client and couldn't begin until January. She asked, "Are you ALWAYS going to have transportation issues?"

I replied, "Pardon me?" She stated the above again. I said, "No, I'll have a car on Monday as I told the recruiter." She said, "Well you just aren't hungry enough since you don't want to come in tomorrow." I replied that No, I wasn't that hungry as I had two simultaneous projects and more in the pipeline. She said, "Well, if you get hungry in the next two days, call me so we can meet." I told her No, that wouldn't be happening and she retaliated with, "We don't want to work with someone like you."

What's up with all that? I had the shakes after that call b/c her tone was very nasty. To me it's a red flag when a client needs a writer yesterday and a writer is being pulled from the project. Are these red flags to any of you? My reaction is to call the boss of the AR's b/c I think her treatment of me was horrid.

Opine away oh mighty techwhirlers...

Michele

--
Michele