RE: Icons in procedures?

Subject: RE: Icons in procedures?
From: "Cliver, Barry" <CliverBarry -at- PRAIntl -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 4 Feb 2005 10:51:04 -0500

>>One good solution is to use the text name (e.g. "Click the Save As
icon") for the icon in the text, then place the icon itself in the left
margin to provide a visual reminder. Arguably the most effective
approach is to provide a screenshot of the interface, and define the
procedure as a series of numbered callouts, arranged in logical order
(top to bottom, or clockwise around the screenshot). The effectiveness
of this approach has been demonstrated quite convincingly in some Dutch
studies. (By van der Meij?) I plan to use that approach in a book on
onscreen editing I'm currently developing.>>

Screen shots are beautiful things, but they're a huge problem if you're
translating documentation for the simple reason that they can't be
translated. I would avoid painting your documentation into a corner by
filling it with screen shots, especially if you need I18N. It will break
your translation budget. Using only icons, or when necessary, icons with
amplifying text, is more cost efficient for translation. Furthermore,
screen shots are high maintenance because developers can change them
faster than we can snap them.

Barry
Technical Writer

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

Technical Communication Certificate online - Malaspina-University College, Canada. Online training in technical writing, software (FrameMaker, RoboHelp, Dreamweaver, Acrobat), document & web design, writing manuals, job search. www.pr.mala.bc.ca/tech_comm.htm for details.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com