Re: FW: RE:writing tests

Subject: Re: FW: RE:writing tests
From: Bruce Byfield <bbyfield -at- axionet -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 09:26:24 -0800

Kit Brown wrote:

Interestingly, this thread showed up on the STC-Independent Contractors
list.

Reading this message, I think that the poster isn't too clear on the concept of interviews - even if he or she does claim to be a manager. Some specific comments follow.

In addition, for those of us who pride ourselves on the
excellence of our work, many times the example is sooo bad that we would
want to redesign as well as re-write (and that's usually outside the scope
of the test).

But you can still bring it into the test by indicating that you would want to redesign, and suggesting briefly how you would do so. The whole art of interviewing is taking what is thrown at you and turning it to your advantage.

> Many people who would make excellent employees and who are
good writers/editors are also not good test takers.

Nor are many people good interviewers. Unfortunately, if you want to work, you don't have much choice except to learn how to do these things.

Anyway, nobody's work is going to be as polished in a test as in an ordinary work situation. And tests aren't just about results. They're also about how you respond to the pressure - which isn't too different than how you'd respond to a tight deadline.

As someone else pointed
out, they would want the time to learn the product and to understand the
needs of the audience

Again, you have a chance to show your professionalism if you make these points part of your answer.

> you can usually
tell by someone's resume and cover letter whether or not they have the
writing basics down.

Not necessarily. Some people hire others to write resumes and cover letters. Others have resumes and cover letters rewritten by headhunters.

Also, at this stage of my career (16 yrs as a
writer/editor/trainer/consultant), my problem solving skills and people
skills are far more important than my writing and editing ones.

Tests are based on the demands of the job, not the skills of the user. If the poster wants a job where problem solving and people skills are important, then he or she should be applying for management jobs.

As to the guy who had the 2 tests, one of which was observed, I would
probably not want to work there and would not even bother with the test. The
standing-over-me-while-I-work test is a good indicator of that company's
management style, and I know that I do better with the "here's the problem,
go figure it out" manager than the "stand over me and micromanage everything
I do" manager, especially at this stage of my career. (Also probably why I
like being my own boss :->)

Nothing wrong with that. An interview is the interviewee's chance to weed out the company. Personally, I'm glad to learn that the company's style is incompatible early in the hiring process; it saves wasted time and unhappiness later. It's all part of the process.

--
Bruce Byfield 604-421-7177
http://members.axion.net/~bbyfield

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l