Re: FW: RE:writing tests

Subject: Re: FW: RE:writing tests
From: slb -at- westnet -dot- com -dot- au
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2005 20:26:04 -0700

I'm with Bruce. The point of the test isn't to get a rewritten sample,
it's to see where you fit on this scale:

- rewrote sample, did a poor job
- rewrote sample, did an adequate job
- rewrote sample, did an excellent job
- rewrote sample, did an excellent job given the circumstances, also
demonstrated an understanding of TW principles by listing some topics they
would want to know more about to do a proper job: users, tasks,
environment, output format, etc.

> ... you can usually tell by someone's resume and cover letter
> whether or not they have the writing basics down.

Still with Bruce here. You can tell whether the person who wrote them has
the basics down. You still don't know for sure whether the *applicant*
does.

> The standing-over-me-while-I-work test is a good indicator of that
> company's management style, and I know that I do better with the
> "here's the problem, go figure it out" manager than the "stand over me
> and micromanage everything I do" manager

This is not so relevant to writing tests, but I could imagine wanting to
watch someone work if the test involved specific skills that are vital to
the job and which the applicant claims to have. I think with two minutes
observation and a question or two I'd be confident about picking whether
they'll be great, good or hopeless.

I'm not saying I would do this in an interview, but if I did, it would be
*because* I don't want to stand over them and micromanage once they start
working for me.

Regards

Stuart Burnfield

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l