Re: Ghostwriters anonymous pricing question (long)

Subject: Re: Ghostwriters anonymous pricing question (long)
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2005 12:57:01 -0500

Chris Christner wrote:

... so unless the book he's writing is a vanity piece
that he's cooled on now that he knows what it'll cost,

I think that's part of the problem. I'm trying to encourage him to see this as viable; but he's so insecure about it that he says stuff like, "this project is first and foremost for me; if all I get out of it is one copy sitting on my shelf, that will be enough. It may be that he thinks I'm just being a flatterer when I tell him I think it has sales potential.

he should be
willing to pay for quality. I wouldn't belabor the point that he can't use
the chapter you've done (after all, what good is it to him?)

Well, he could hand it to a cheaper and less scrupulous writer. I'm only belaboring it because the world of publishing is so foreign to him that simple points like copyright protection need to be reinforced. I don't think he has any dishonest intent.

, just let him
simmer a while and consider his choices. If he's serious about his book
and liked your work, he'll be back.

I hope so. It's just his internal risk/benefit calculations I'm trying to influence at this point, I guess.

Good luck,
Chris

Thanks.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l