Re: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?

Subject: Re: resume fondling -- am I being too picky?
From: Bill Swallow <techcommdood -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Sat, 30 Apr 2005 13:02:56 -0400

Exactly. Many people are focused on short term gain and loss and fail
to take in the bigger picture. I'd much rather make sacrifices in
getting things done in the short term to find a writer who can add
much value in the long term.

That said, candidates need to realize that there is a rather large
pool of writers out there looking for work, and that every aspect of
your application is under scrutiny by managers such as Gene and
myself. I don't think we are the only two who take hiring seriously,
either. Therefore, this isn't a matter of picking nits... this is
about ensuring you have the best chances of getting a job. That means
you should ensure your resume is error-free, that it speaks to the
position being advertised, that it appropriately showcases your
stengths and experience, and so forth.

By exercising a little care up front, like Gene and I apparently do
when interviewing, you (the interviewee/candidate) can better your
odds of landing the job you want, jsut as we can better our odds by
finding the best candidate for the job.

On 4/30/05, Gene Kim-Eng <techwr -at- genek -dot- com> wrote:

> Also, from a manager's viewpoint, the consequences of my screening
> process causing me to exclude someone who might have turned out
> to be able to do the job (i.e., lengthening my search and requiring me
> to make schedule changes and do more hands-on document work
> myself) are far less painful than the consequences of hiring someone
> who turns out not to be able to do the job.

http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com