AW: Where did you get your feet wet?

Subject: AW: Where did you get your feet wet?
From: "Borodkin, Yevgen" <yevgen -dot- borodkin -at- dictajet -dot- de>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 6 Jun 2005 12:49:39 +0200

Hi Lori,

I started out as a teacher of English as a Second Language (ESL) in Ukraine (which happens to be my home country). At some point I felt I had enough of teaching people things I could very well use myself :-). I thought I should see the world, look for new challenges, and learn something new, for instance, get a Master's degree in Communication or something related. I applied to several graduate programs in the US and - that's how I got into Technical Communication. I took a variety of courses in technical writing and editing, technology, and training and did an internship at a software company. My first job was in Belgium, and now I am working in Germany. I like it thus far.

In my case, formal education was essential. I couldn't get any relevant training (let alone an internationally recognised academic degree!) in my home country and wouldn't have made a career anywhere outside Ukraine. The degree and the skill set I had under my belt after the two years in the US opened many doors worldwide.

About specific skills: I did learn a lot on the job, but without the stuff I learned at the university, it would have been pretty hard. But then again, it's just me.

Yevgeny

New from Quadralay Corporation: WebWorks ePublisher Pro! Easily create
14 online formats, including 6 Help systems, in a project-based
workflow. Live, online demo! http://www.webworks.com/techwr-l

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com