RE: Section 508 compliant documentation - CHM and PDF

Subject: RE: Section 508 compliant documentation - CHM and PDF
From: "Katherine Hinchey" <khinchey -at- houston -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 28 Jun 2005 07:52:27 -0500

I bet you've already looked at the main source for information, at
http://www.access-board.gov/508.htm and http://www.section508.gov/ .

If you are using RoboHelp and generate WebHelp instead of a CHM,
RoboHelp will make your help system compliant with Section 508 for
navigation (see
http://help.robohelp.com/robo/projects/rht12en/WebHelp_topics/508_compli
ance/Making_your_WebHelp_output_accessible.htm) .

Other tips for the help system are at
http://help.robohelp.com/robo/projects/rht12en/WebHelp_topics/508_compli
ance/Tips_for_authoring_compliant_Help_systems.htm .

Some writing tips are at http://www.w3.org/TR/WAI-WEBCONTENT/ .

If you are producing the training material too, you may want to look at
http://www.astd.org/NR/rdonlyres/8F40492E-4850-4F5A-B74B-0D3C25C4BF61/58
61/TH104.pdf .

I believe that PDFs are considered less-accessible because users need
special plugins. Perhaps there is an expert on this list who can provide
more information.

Katherine