Re: Getting organized -- what's your method?

Subject: Re: Getting organized -- what's your method?
From: "Kathleen Jette" <jette -at- pcigeomatics -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 08:57:01 -0400

I use several methods:

1. I have a spreadsheet that I use to track my projects through the
Document Life Cycle. It includes my original estimates of the number of
hours that it should take me to research and write the content for each
project and the actual amount of time I spent researching and writing
the content. That spreadsheet helps me track my progress and status and
helps me refine my estimating abilities.

2. I track my meetings and interviews in Outlook's Calendar.

3. I write my weekly "To Do" list on my white board and cross them out
as they are completed. I like seeing them crossed out rather than
erased.

4. I keep folders for each project that contain my written notes,
hand-drawn diagrams, and other papers gathered during my research. I
keep a sheet in the folder with notes about what has been done and what
needs to be done. When the project is finished, I put the signed
sign-off sheet in the folder and file it.

5. I complete a Web-based timesheet for billing purposes for the
Accounting department.

6. I also complete a status report for my manager every week.

With these methods I can easily keep dozens of projects rolling. If I am
suddenly unavailable, anyone can step in and keep the projects rolling
without losing too much time.

Regards,
Kathleen Jette
Senior Technical Writer
Web site: www.pcigeomatics.com

PCI Geomatics
Committed to Image-Centric Excellence

"Opportunity is missed by most people,
because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."
Thomas Edison

"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough."
Albert Einstein

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com