RE: Corporate World vs. Small Company: Considerations?

Subject: RE: Corporate World vs. Small Company: Considerations?
From: "Chad LaCroix" <chad -at- architext-usa -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 21 Sep 2005 10:21:01 -0400

>I wonder if any of you have insights I may not be thinking of in deciding
whether to leave a big company for a smaller one.

I really hate to be the materialistic one in the group but...FWIW I think
this decision comes down to the whole "quality of life" thing. Although
this is a difficult calculation to make you have to weigh what things are
worth to you (there are quantitative ways of making decisions like this but
I have never found them all that helpful). Although your commute, interest
in your work, and work environment are VERY LARGE parts of the "quality of
life" thing so is *cough* money. $10-20K a year is a lot of dough. What if
that pay cut means you can't take the annual vacation with the kids (or
something else important to you like that)? It's not about the money but it
*is* about what they money buys in some cases.

So at the risk of sounding unenlightened.....the money should be considered
in combination with the other factors as well.

Ready for a bunch of angry responses,

-Chad

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com