RE: who vs that (called vs named)

Subject: RE: who vs that (called vs named)
From: "Johan Hiemstra" <webmaster -at- techexams -dot- net>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 22 Sep 2005 00:19:35 +0200

"The CEO was called John Smith."
I know it's just an example, but I think that's a bad sentence. I'd say:
"The CEO's name is John Smith"

Unless... if you would say "The CEO was 'called' John Smith." it would
probably mean that the CEO's real name is not John Smith, but 'he was called
John Smith' because he wasn't suppose to disclose his real name. (like "Mr.
White" in Ocean's Eleven). Like a nick indeed. "He was 'named' John Smith"
would imply that someone else officially changed his name or he just crawled
out of his mother.

Like the birth cards:
"We named him Jonathan Michael Richard Frederick Peter Thompson, we call him
John"

Or:
"The company was named Microsoft and it was called M$"

;)

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com