Re: Versioning repository for docs

Subject: Re: Versioning repository for docs
From: David Neeley <dbneeley -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2005 22:28:16 -0500

Susan,

I would submit that the better word for the Subversion/Tortoise SVN
combo is not "horrible" but "different."

I find it superior to VSS, and have it set up now on my machine at
home so I can begin to handle various versions of the documents I
write here. In fact, I am beginning a book and will use this
combination for the various drafts of what will become (I fear!) a
rather long and involved nonfiction work.

That said, I think you may have better luck with one of the many CMS
products out there. Many of them are quite good at doc development,
and should work quite well on your company Intranet.

David

On 9/27/05, Susan Scott <susanmscott -at- gmail -dot- com> wrote:

> However, my current company is trying to get me to use a freeware
> product called Subversion. It was written for tracking code and is,
> even with the UI provided by Tortoise SVN, a horrible tool to use (the
> very name should give you a clue!).

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com