Re: Versioning repository for docs

Subject: Re: Versioning repository for docs
From: lists -at- userdox -dot- com
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 29 Sep 2005 09:02:03 +1000

Hi Susan,

> you appear to only be able to check out an entire directory, and not a file.
This is correct and is the result of versioning of entire trees.

> new versions numbers refer to the whole directory and not the individual
> file

See http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch02s03.html for information about
revision numbers.

When you refer to a file by revision (foo.xml:287) it doesn't matter that other
files have the same revision number (foobar.xml:287) because they have a
different file name. What you are referring to in this case is the state of
the file you want at tree revision number xxx. This does mean that the
revision number of a file can change without the file changing, but that is the
only difference between Subversion and most other systems. Looking at the log
file will tell what happened when.

Cheers,

Geoff

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com