Re: Grammar: "So" as a modifier

Subject: Re: Grammar: "So" as a modifier
From: Anthony Davey <ant -at- ant-davey -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 07 Oct 2005 10:13:11 +0100

Hi Aroxanne,

From Fowler's Modern English Usage (one of the 'BrEng'bibles of how to) it would appear that this usage is called the 'appealing so', used to indicate conviction or confirmation.

It is very much conversational, and really ought to be avoided in 'print' outside reported dialogue.

HTH,
Ant

arroxaneullman -at- aol -dot- com wrote:

Hey all,

Another interesting grammatical conversation came up today. This time we discussed "so" as a modifier. For example, "We are so lost" (instead of "very?) or "That is so an inconvenience" (instead of "such"?). I commented that this usage was incorrect, but really can't back it up with a grammatical rule.

So, I'm just looking for a simple rule-of-thumb I can share with my grammatically handicapped peers.

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com