Single Sourcing using Word, RoboHelp, and PPT

Subject: Single Sourcing using Word, RoboHelp, and PPT
From: "Ashaki K. Hamlett" <ashaki -at- altair -dot- com>
To: "TECHWR-L" <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 2 Nov 2005 15:06:17 -0500

Hello,

I'd like to tap into the vast knowledge that is on this list.

Current situation: The Training department creates classroom materials,
online tutorials, and presentations. The classroom materials and online
tutorials are identical in content, but published in different mediums
(Word and RoboHelp respectively). Some of the content found in the
classroom material and online tutorial is also found in the
presentation. Three different people create the three above-mentioned
documents. For obvious reasons, this solution isn't the best. Therefore,
I proposed we try another solution.

Proposed Solution:
- Write content in Word in the outline view and this document serves as
your source file
- From the source file, use the Send to PPT feature to generate
presentation (once in PPT, apply template for appropriate styles and
format)
- From the source file, copy and paste all the content into a new file,
save the new file as a .rtf , and import the .rtf into RoboHelp to
generate online tutorial

Issue:
- When using the Send to PPT feature, unwanted content is being sent to
PPT. I know the workaround for this is to mark the content Normal in
Word, but that's not the style we want applied to that particular
content. For example, we don't want to send numbered steps to PPT, so to
avoid that information from transferring we would mark the numbered step
as Normal. However, we want the style Numbered Step to apply to this
text. Is there a way to omit content from going to PPT, but retain it's
desire style?

Limitations:
- We can only use the above-mentioned tools.
- We are up against a tight deadline, so we don't have time to learn new
tools (even if they are free).
- I have basic Word/VBA macro experience, but am willing to learn if
it's possible in the timeframe allotted.

Does anyone foresee any other limitations with the solution that I'm
proposing? Am I living in a fantasy world to think this is possible? Has
anyone had any experience single sourcing with these tools? I could be
approaching this dilemma incorrectly, if so is there an easier method?

Thanks in advance,
Ashaki

archiver -at- techwr-l -dot- com