RE: Word 2002 and Images as Objects

Subject: RE: Word 2002 and Images as Objects
From: "Pradeep" <ninkozi -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: <ekarenski-techwrl -at- yahoo -dot- com>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>, <ninkozi -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 21 Nov 2005 10:39:13 +0530

Problem 1)

In MSWord, there are two options:
1. Insert>Picture>From File>(Insert>Link to File)
2. Insert>Object>Create From File (Link to File).
In option 1, only a link to the image is put into the word doc, a behavior
similar to that of HTML files.
In option 2 however, a bunch of support code is added to the word doc, to
enable it to open the linked "object". This makes the doc size much larger.
The advantage of this option is that you can link or embed any kind of
object - a movie, a picture, an excel sheet, even another Word doc! For
linking or embedding jpgs however, this is overkill.

Problem 2)
It looks like the path being linked is the absolute path (c:\yada\yada). As
a result, when someone opens the file on the network, the Word program on
her machine cannot find the object on her C:\yada\yada. I don't know of any
simple and transparent solution to this problem. :(

Someone once said that a Word Master document exists in only two states:
Corrupt and About to be Corrupt. So before you use this feature, think deep
and hard about it. OpenOffice is supposed to have a better Master Document
setup, so if you can afford to switch, use that instead.

Of course, caveat emptor.

Pradeep