systems integrating north, south, east, and west

Subject: systems integrating north, south, east, and west
From: "Elizabeth O'Shea" <elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 2006 12:05:31 -0000

I'm working on a document where the writer says that an application
integrates north with operational support systems and south with network
elements, and east-west 'with other "best-of-breed" management solutions'.

I know I've heard this terminology used now and again, but I am unhappy with
it. But I haven't had any success finding other instances of this usage
online.

Here are my questions:

-Do you think using directions in this type of description is acceptable?
-Do you know of any other examples of this type of usage?
-How does it translate? Is this usage peculiar to English-language
IT-related info, and how much will it confuse people?
-What alternatives would you use?

I'm inclined to drop any reference to direction from the paragraph. I assume
the directions are there to imply that the application in question is the
centre of the universe, but I'm inclined to think it doesn't add anything to
the text and could potentially create confusion.

Thanks for your feedback.

elizabeth
elizabeth -dot- oshea -at- virtualaccess -dot- com