Linked graphics or imported in the text?

Subject: Linked graphics or imported in the text?
From: "Nandini Garud" <nandini -at- resonate -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 12:43:13 -0800

Hello,

I am working at a new company where my superior does not like to link
graphics (copy by reference) because grey boxes occur (this would happen
when the graphics folder is moved). We inherited this book which is @ 400
pages long and has a current version in Word which does not have consistent
styles.

Right now, all the 13 files in FrameMaker 5.5 use the graphics saved in a
separate folder. I am comparing about 13 files in the FrameMaker 5.5 book
with the updated version in Word 2000. About 15% of the content and graphics
is different and needs to be updated in FrameMaker. I will be using the 6.0
version of FrameMaker. The book folder has a graphics folder with tiff files
in which all images seemed to be saved as tiff files.

What would be ideal for seamless porting of old images and updating of new?
Keep the same structure, or copy the old and new imapges in the documents.
One problem I see is that looking at the graphics, I cannot tell which
appears where by the name of the graphics file.

I am using a different template for new looks and navigation because that is
another requirement. I don't mind spending my own $200 and upgrade to
FrameMaker 7.2 if it's going to save me some headache and speed up the
process. I am a lone writer contractor.

I will be creating context-sensitive Help. I don't know WebWorks. We have
neither WebWorks Publisher, nor RoboHelp. Is RoboHelp still a viable
solution, what with Adobe coming up an announcement?

Please contact me off-list if you wish, because the questions are many.

Thanks.

Nandini