Re: Ultimate SOURCE On CaptializatioN Rules?

Subject: Re: Ultimate SOURCE On CaptializatioN Rules?
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: Tony Markos <ajmarkos -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 05 May 2006 15:23:40 -0400

Tony Markos wrote:

To all listserv members:

Can you recommend an ultimate source on
capitialization rules - especially for editing
buzzword and acronymn heavy software documentation
where the original writers went "Caps Crazy"?

As I am both lazy and cheap, I would prefer an on-line
resource. However, if I really have to, I will make a
trip to the library.

I suspect you can get a used copy of Strunk & White, Elements of Style, for under a dollar. Would that be cheap enough?

A better resource would be Chicago Manual of Style, if only because it weighs more and looks more impressive when you wave it in front of the marketing veep's nose; but that costs more.

I would not recommend either the AP Style Manual or the New York Times Style Manual (I probably guessed wrong as to the exact titles of those two), because I don't like the way handle acronyms, abbreviations, and trade names.

HOWEVER, Tony--and this is important, so pay attention--a style manual is an arbitrary collection of conventions, emphasis on arbitrary. You should refer to established style manuals to get an idea of the range of possible rules that thoughtful people have come up with; however, you should not interpret any of these guides as an ultimate authority. The only ultimate rule is to establish a scope that a given style guide applies to (all company documents? all company technical documents? all company marketing documents?), pick a style to use within that scope, and then follow it consistently.