RE: Career change to tech writing

Subject: RE: Career change to tech writing
From: "Robert Landry" <robert -dot- landry -at- rapt -dot- com>
To: <strickla -at- airmail -dot- net>, "Adrienne Kelley" <puckishone -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 2006 12:04:05 -0700

To Bob's point, I sorta found my way into tech writing and wasn't quite
sure I would be good at it. 13 years later, people are still hiring me!

I learned more about writing from editors and peer editing than I did
with any course. Not to say many courses aren't great, but there are
many ways to learn. I've read material written by people with
certifications out the yingyang that has been absolutely horrible.

To supplement any courses you might eventually take, I would also find
an experienced writer or editor through STC and have them perform an
edit on samples of your material. Most editors thrive on helping others
become better writers and explaining why they make the
corrections/suggestions that they do.

My experience for what it's worth.

As a really strange aside...During a graduate course in the history of
human rights, we were given access to the "procedure manual" for death
by lethal injection. I think that is ONE manual where you WOULD NOT want
access to the "application." ;)

Robert J. Landry
Senior Technical Writer
Rapt Inc.
phone: 415-932-2687
email: robert -dot- landry -at- rapt -dot- com