Re: Too old?

Subject: Re: Too old?
From: John Garison <john -at- garisons -dot- com>
To: Keith Hood <klhra -at- yahoo -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 08:55:00 -0400

There are ways and there are ways ...

My resume goes back over 30 years as I am <gulp> 56 and have been doing this stuff since the early 70s. I list all the companies I worked for, but very concisely describe the relevant things I did. For example, I worked at DEC from 76-80, and I say this about my time there: "Documented operating systems, system utilities, debuggers, compilers, and programming languages." It doesn't list any irrelevant technology, but it certainly gets the point across that I have some serious technical chops.

My 2¢,

John G

Keith Hood wrote:

Familiarity with older technology implies an older
worker - pure and simple. If your resume lists
software that hit the open market 20 years ago, nobody
is going to assume you studied that software last
year. They're going to assume you were using it 20
years ago, and that means they're going to assume
you're older than the guy who lists only stuff thats 5
years old or less.