Re: Tables inside numbered lists

Subject: Re: Tables inside numbered lists
From: Robert_Johnson -at- percussion -dot- com
To: Christian -dot- Walters -at- cox -dot- com
Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 07:42:18 -0500

I've read all the other responses, and it seems to me that others have
overlooked the real logic here. If the project manager really wants
sequential numbering, the correct way to number the steps would be:

6. Continue with the following:
| To... | Do this... |
| Some action | 7. Some step |
| Some action | 8. Step one |
| | 9. Step two |
| | 10. Step three |
| Some action | 11. Some step |
12. Next step.

Why leave out the actions with only one step? That doesn't make sense to
me if you want truly sequential numbering of steps.

I think implementing this numbering system will either expose the logical
inconsistency of the project manager's approach or confirm its validity.
(Personally, I think it exposes the inconsistency, but I can see someone
arguing the other way.)

I agree with those who have suggested some alternative numbering scheme
for the subprocedure. I favor using alphabetical numbering myself, but
other schemes that have been suggested make equal sense. The point is to
use the step numbering to differentiate the subprocedure from the main
procedure, reducing the opportunity for this kind of conflict.

Robert Johnson