RE: Too weird a request? (Sample doc group budgets)

Subject: RE: Too weird a request? (Sample doc group budgets)
From: "Rick Bishop" <rickbishop -at- austin -dot- rr -dot- com>
To: "'Nancy Allison'" <maker -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 16 Jan 2007 20:15:40 -0600

Nancy: If you have bid contracts for tech writing jobs, you can approach
budgeting like the first year of a multi-year contract. Microsoft Project is
very adept at giving a close estimate of costs, especially if you feel there
is more work than the existing staff can handle, but you can use Excel just
as effectively. Its up to you to list every conceivable expense for the
department and staff and put the pencil to it. Once into it, I think you'll
find it isn't all that difficult, it just takes time to wade thru and price
everything. Some of the items you'll want to start with:
.Staff salaries
.Overtime or 3rd party contract costs, depending on estimated workload
.Travel
.Training, education (includes publications)
.Software purchases and maintenance
.Supplies

Rick