Employment vs. Consulting vs. Contracting & Getting Hired

Subject: Employment vs. Consulting vs. Contracting & Getting Hired
From: "Michael L. Wyland" <michael -at- sumptionandwyland -dot- com>
To: techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 2007 15:59:07 -0600

To all:

I'm a relative newbie to this list and I've been reading the discussion on "getting hired" with great interest. My wife and I have been consultants since 1990, starting out almost exclusively as grant writers for state government agencies.

I've noticed the language used on this list is heavily that of employment rather than that of contracting or consulting, even when, in context, it seems that relatively short-term contractual arrangements based on a single project are being discussed.

Do the members of this list see themselves as employees, contractors, or consultants? Are they looking for jobs, for contracts, or for clients? Are most full-time employed or seeking to be so, or are most seeking contractual arrangements? Do they seek to serve multiple clients concurrently, or are they exclusive to a single client for the duration of an assignment?

Thanks!

Michael L. Wyland
Sumption & Wyland
818 South Hawthorne Avenue
Sioux Falls, SD 57104-4537
(605) 336-0244
(605) 336-0275 (FAX)
(888) 4-SUMPTION (toll-free)
michael -at- sumptionandwyland -dot- com

Since 1990
Strategic Planning * Executive Coaching * Training & Facilitation * Grantsmanship

http://www.sumptionandwyland.com
-- free e-newsletter sign-up
-- Article, "Buffett's Gift to Gates Foundation - What Does $60 Billion Really Mean?"