RE: Getting Hired...Opinion #2500

Subject: RE: Getting Hired...Opinion #2500
From: "Tariel, Lauren R" <lt34 -at- saclink -dot- csus -dot- edu>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 11:19:16 -0800

I remember doing that a few years ago. That's how I got the responses that I didn't have enough work experience. I had what I called a "brief" resume that listed all of my skills and technologies and a summary of my experience. I mentioned that I had a detailed resume (that was 3-5 pages long depending on how much detail I included and how far I went back). I work with recruiters and they would ask for longer resume. The 5-page resume would get little response or complaints that it was "too detailed" and the 3-pager would get phone interviews.

Now in 1998, having old experience really helped land Y2K compliance work. After that, it really didn't help. Companies hiring these days seem to want people that can use the latest technology, sometimes they want specialized certification or other buzzword technologies and methodologies. I try to put all of that stuff up front. My current "door-opener" resume contains a summary (5 bullet points with personal and professional highlights over my 15+ year writing career), skills grouped and bulleted by subject (Software/Applications, Languages, Databases, Hardware, Operating Systems, Methodologies, Project Management Tools), professional experience for 10 years with each job (bullets for each: a one sentence description, 1-2 accomplishments, and a bullet that lists the technologies I used), and education. It's 3 pages.

Lauren