Re: Tips on Getting Hired...Opinion #2501

Subject: Re: Tips on Getting Hired...Opinion #2501
From: Dick Margulis <margulisd -at- comcast -dot- net>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 2007 15:54:58 -0500

I've been watching this thread, and I find it interesting that people are trying to psych out what the hiring manager wants to see.

I have a different take on it. I made it clear on my résumé who I am. People then made a choice. They either called me in for an interview because they liked _me_ (and thought I'd be able to figure the job out) or they refrained from calling me in because they were pretty sure they wouldn't like working with _me_. It had nothing to do with whether or not the the résumé met some arbitrary checklist of features. Mine was as long as it had to be and as short as it had to be and, yes, it included some oddball facts about me that had nothing to do with whatever job I was applying for.

Did this limit the number of interviews I was called for? You bet yer bippee it did. But that just means it saved me a lot of wasted time.

When I was in a position to hire others, the most frustrating thing was a great résumé attached to a disappointing person.

I figure honesty is the best policy. I know that not everyone does, but I'd rather not work with any more of them, thanks.

Dick
http://ampersandvirgule.blogspot.com/