RE: Using Personal Style to win over Interviewers

Subject: RE: Using Personal Style to win over Interviewers
From: "Bettina Davis" <bkdavis -at- colsa -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Wed, 7 Feb 2007 11:36:22 -0800

To sound more "energetic" on the phone, sit in front of a mirror while you
interview. Watch yourself and make sure you're smiling while you talk. That
will come across in your voice.

If you already sound young on the phone, maybe you don't need to worry about
sounding energetic, but need to concentrate on listening to the speaker. I
have a hard time retaining auditory information. Sometimes I close my eyes
when I'm on the phone so I can focus better. (I'd never do that in a f2f
interview! ;->)

Finally, if you're nervous on phone interviews, write a note that says
"BREATHE" and post it in front of you. Take a deep breath before you answer
any question. If you don't breathe loudly right into the phone, no one will
notice the little delay.

Good luck!
Bettina Davis
Senior Analyst Writer
Colsa Corporation, Digital Wizards Division

From: "Lauren" <lt34 -at- csus -dot- edu>
To: <vrfour -at- verizon -dot- net>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>

Sounds great. But most of my interviews lately have been phone interviews.
Actually, it's a phone interview first and, if I don't blow it, an in-person
interview. I sound young over the phone and I can't follow a conversation
if I don't see the person's face or read the discussion. So I wind up
sounding too youthful and inexperienced over the phone. How do I convey
body language and sound "energized, bright, and excited" when I am
experiencing phone stress? Actually, the "energized, bright, and excited"
part might be hard to pull off when I feel apathetic, annoyed, and jaded.

Lauren