RE: "Standard" browsers?

Subject: RE: "Standard" browsers?
From: Chris Borokowski <athloi -at- yahoo -dot- com>
To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 10:46:04 -0700 (PDT)

Coming from an Apple/Macintosh background, I was once
afflicted with this. I recovered and became more
practical. Microsoft does some things well, and others
poorly. When Netscape was dilatory in implementing new
features needed by web designers, Microsoft surged
ahead, and for this reason, I'm not an IE-hater,
especially since Firefox has had its share of
crippling bugs (the only reason for its perceived
greater security is its far smaller deployment). At
the same time, if someone asks whether I prefer to
work in Framemaker or Microsoft Office Word 2003, it's
clear which I'll pick.

On deployment numbers, I ran into an unpleasant
surprise this weekend. Several of the sites I
webperson use a certain type of software that up till
now was impervious to spam. Apparently, sometime last
week the spammers found out how to bypass its filters,
and so now it's under assault. When enough people are
using a piece of software, it will be under assault.

The W3C folks have lost credibility in my eyes for
delaying the finalization of standards until after
certain IE releases, then claiming those browsers were
non-standards-compliant. It's this kind of political
game that makes many of us look at the hard figures,
and do our best to support the big two but focus most
on IE.

--- "Combs, Richard" <richard -dot- combs -at- Polycom -dot- com>
wrote:

> In any case, to reiterate what I said earlier, the
> OP was asking about
> WinHelp vs. WinHelp2000. All the comments about
> other OSes, etc., seem
> to have overlooked that in their eagerness to
> promote their Anything But
> Microsoft (tm) philosophy.

User Interface design blog
http://user-advocacy.blogspot.com/