RE: Figure numbering following Heading 5

Subject: RE: Figure numbering following Heading 5
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: dhill -at- bluetooth -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2007 10:43:32 -0400

Your scheme doesn't work because it uses the same
counter element (the fifth one) for both level 5
headings and figure captions. You need to use the
sixth (or seventh) element for the figure caption
number if you're using the first five (or six) elements
for section headings. The numbering you show for
the level 5 heading resets the sixth counter to 0,
so it looks like it is already set up for a sixth level of
numbered headings, which means you'd need to
use the seventh element to get figure numbers
that increment properly when level 5 headings are
present.

IOW, if your heading 5 format stays the same, you'd
need to change the figure numbering format to be:

H:Figure <n>< >< >< >< >< >.<n+>:
rather than
H:Figure <n>< >< >< >< >.<n+>< >:

But this assumes that you're not already using the
seventh counter element for some other purpose,
like table numbering. If that's the case, you'll need
to add an eighth element to the counter series.

Or, if you don't actually use numbered level 6
headings, you can make the numbering work properly
by changing the heading 5 format to be:
and the figure caption numbering to be:
which leaves the seventh element avaible for table
titles or some other purpose.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList