RE: PDF Annotation tool?

Subject: RE: PDF Annotation tool?
From: "Fred Ridder" <docudoc -at- hotmail -dot- com>
To: caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com, techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com
Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 22:45:25 -0400

As of Acrobat 7.0, the Professional version allows you to
save PDFs (either newly created or existing files made with
any versions of Acrobat) in a form that can be annotated
by anyone using Adobe Reader (the free reader tool)
version 7.0 or later or Adobe Acrobat (the full tool suite,
which is not free) version 6.0 or later. Any reviewer, using
either Reader or Acrobat, can save a comment-enabled
PDF along with any markup they have added to the
document.

Both the Standard and Professional versions of Acrobat
(7.0 or later) and Adobe Reader 7.0 or later allow you to
see the annotations (and any replies or status flags that
have been added to the annotations), but I believe you
need the full Acrobat Professional package to extract the
annotations to a .fdf (annotation-only) file or print them
in a report format (either raqw or filtered, based on date,
reviewer, status, etc.).

But the Acrobat Professional package actually goes well
beyond that, with a built-in set of tools to send an e-mail
with the comment-enabled PDF to a list of reviewers, to
make it foolproof for the reviewers to return their
marked-up file to you, and to let you merge all the the
comments into one master review file. It works like a
champ. It also includes the ability to initiate a web-based
review where each reviewer can see (and potentially
respond to) other reviewers' comments, but that facility
requires an expensive server application, which rules it
out for most potential users.

My opinions only; I don't speak for Intel.
Fred Ridder
Intel
Parsippany, NJ

>From: "Rob Hudson" <caveatrob -at- gmail -dot- com>
>To: TECHWR-L <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
>Subject: PDF Annotation tool?
>Date: Sun, 15 Apr 2007 15:02:18 -0400
>
>Is there a tool that allows me to:
>
>1) Annotate/comment PDFs
>2) Save those PDFs
>3) Extract the comments/annotations from the PDF?
>
>Rob
>
>--
>Rob Hudson
>Business Writing Instructor