Re: Justification for hiring and realistic deadline - pls help.

Subject: Re: Justification for hiring and realistic deadline - pls help.
From: "Edgar D' Souza" <edgar -dot- b -dot- dsouza -at- gmail -dot- com>
To: SB <sylvia -dot- braunstein -at- gmail -dot- com>
Date: Sun, 6 May 2007 10:13:43 +0530

Just an idea, but how about a chart/graph which has time along the X
axis, in 3 increments: 1.5 years ago, 8 months ago, and the present.
For each of these points in time, you could show bars which measure:
a) Total company strength (or at the location where you're working, if
that shows a bigger growth curve)
b) No. of hours you work(ed) per day (or month) at that point in time
c) No. of pages of output (or other metric that you choose, or that is
recommended by the really experienced people on this list) per day (or
month)
d) A percentage which represents work you successfully completed over
work assigned to you (in terms of projects, manuals, or possibly the
same metric you chose for (b).

Such a chart ought to show them that while your output per hour has
risen, and so has the number of hours you work per day, the percentage
of successfully completed work has dropped (?drastically?) because
you're being loaded with way more work than one person ought to be
doing.

Perhaps management will understand your problem better when it is
represented as a chart, than if you were to sit with them and try to
explain why documentation is important to the company, and in what
ways the documentation's value to the user is being degraded by their
refusal to hire additional TWs. Also, the steep growth curve of the
company (simply expressed as number of employees), when contrasted
with the other figures, ought to make your point very eloquently.

Worth a try, perhaps...
Just my 2c.

Regards,
Ed.