RE: Firefox vs IE - help

Subject: RE: Firefox vs IE - help
From: "Gordon McLean" <Gordon -dot- McLean -at- GrahamTechnology -dot- com>
Date: Mon, 30 Jul 2007 16:52:34 +0100

So you'd rather take the quick and dirty and hard to maintain route?

Yes, CSS can be a little confusing at times, but once you have the basics it
is far more maintainable in the future.

There are HUNDREDS of CSS layout templates out there, you can dump your
content into them very easily. If you decide to change the layout of the
pages (no matter how many) at a later date (and presuming you are
referencing a separate CSS file) then it will require ONE change.

If you have a help system that is anything like ours, that means you aren't
searching and replacing across thousands of HTML files. Far less risk of
error.

Personally I think it's worth the time and effort to learn the basics, grab
a template, and use that. Of course it depends on the scope of the project,
if it's only a couple of pages worth of info, then fine, use tables. If it's
more, and you have the scope to include time to learn CSS layout at a
rudimentary level it will benefit you in the future as well. Relying on
tables for layout, won't.

Gordon