musicians among us

Subject: musicians among us
From: "Blount, Patricia A" <Patricia -dot- Blount -at- ca -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 20 Dec 2007 09:49:31 -0500

Wow, Peter.

Why so snarky in this season of peace and good will?

For what it's worth, I found the entire discussion of music and
musicians among us both enlightening and entertaining. I've been a
member of this list for...[patty counts on fingers] gee, going on seven
years now. Mostly, I lurk. I am not often compelled to take time from my
busy day to offer my comments, primarily because I usually cannot offer
any help/insight beyond what others have already contributed by the time
I get the mail (I'm on digest).

Regarding the music topic, it has always been my fondest wish to be
musical in some way. I LOVE to sing, but unfortunately, I am tone deaf
so when I do, I lose friends and end parties early. :) Personally, I see
a peripheral connection to our work, but perhaps that's just me.

I am now learning guitar. I like to think my work in technical writing
is facilitating my efforts toward teaching myself how to play this
instrument. I am applying my skills in research, in interviewing SMEs
and even in understanding abstractions to this endeavor. If it was
slightly off topic, so be it. I'm with Bill on this. It builds
connections and communities. Despite my relative 'quietness' on this
list, I nevertheless feel a sense of camaraderie.

As I just mentioned, I am on digest. I find the digest gives me greater
control over the interruptions to my work. I don't read every post in
the digest if it holds no interest for me (i.e, tools I don't use),
angers me (five paragraphs blasting one individual), or offends me
(generalities that seek to insult all of us at once if we fail to agree
with one writer's opinion). I greatly enjoy discussions like this where
we're asked to offer opinions and experiences instead of concrete
solutions to problems because then I CAN contribute.

I am particularly careful to skip over the slashes and snipes, but the
implied threat ("Perhaps it's time to shut off my subscription..."??) in
this one goaded me. I see no reason to make threats when it would have
been so easy to simply not participate in the discussions.

I shall now return to the woodwork from whence I came.

Patty B.

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList