RE: Overtime rules

Subject: RE: Overtime rules
From: "Melanie Blank" <gmel999 -at- bluefrog -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Fri, 25 Jan 2008 10:24:22 -0500

Jay and others,
That's great for you tech writers in CA, but at least in NY State it depends
on how you are hired. If you are a "salaried, exempt" person working
directly for a company, I believe you are not entitled to OT except in very
specific or extreme circumstances. When I was a consultant placed in various
contract positions at local firms, I had a nice deal. I was a salaried
employee of the consulting firm (with good benefits), but the client had to
pay straight time for any hours worked over 40 per week. Unfortunately I got
laid off from that long-term job when the economy in upstate NY went
downhill. I refer to the typical situation for salaried workers as "salaried
slavery." I respect the earlier poster (couldn't find the name) who told his
employer he wouldn't put up with that situation anymore. But what do you do
when it's an "employer's job market?" It's tough!
Mel Blank - Rochester NY area

Jay wrote:
"Recently we had a talk at our local STC chapter regarding work rules,
hours, etc.<br> It develops that we techwriters are entitled to overtime
compensation in nearly all cases. Unless the writer is also the boss,
overtime rules apply. At least, that's the case in California. I believe it
applies nationwide. If your company compensates properly, you writers should
be making a bucket of money! Overtime compensation is not just a nice idea,
it is the law."

http://www.DocToHelp.com/TechwrlList