RE: OT? Community and tech writing in real life (was Re: Ambiguouswords and Phrases)

Subject: RE: OT? Community and tech writing in real life (was Re: Ambiguouswords and Phrases)
From: "Leonard C. Porrello" <Leonard -dot- Porrello -at- SoleraTec -dot- com>
To: <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 11:37:41 -0800

I can't speak for other tech writers with degrees in philosophy, but the
reason I didn't chime in is that an ethics guide for technical
communicators is arguably unnecessary. The ethical requirements of what
we do are simple: Write truthfully about topics needed by ones audience
in a way that is transparent and useful to ones audience.

If you don't write transparently or truthfully, what you write will not
be useful to your audience. Useless products don't survive very long in
the marketplace. Furthermore, if one is so grossly negligent as to write
something that results in damages, ones corporation and perhaps even one
personally could be legally liable.

What would arguably be much more useful than an ethics guide is a
"Technical Writing Best Practices" guide.

-Leonard Porrello