Re: TC vs TW

Subject: Re: TC vs TW
From: "Gene Kim-Eng" <techwr -at- genek -dot- com>
To: "David Hailey" <david -dot- hailey -at- usu -dot- edu>, <techwr-l -at- lists -dot- techwr-l -dot- com>
Date: Thu, 8 May 2008 12:11:39 -0700

Wow. I feel as if I've just had a flashback to a dotcom-era
STC meeting.

Instead of littering the list with yet another point-for-point
online p***ing match, I propose a small wager. I predict
that ten years from now "technical writers" will be doing
most or all the functions you ascribe to those "technical
communicators" who never write, and the nonwriting
"communicator" jobs will, if they haven't been completely
obsoleted by the new tools the technical writers use, be
non-exempt positions in the same employment category
as DTP and word processor operators. If I'm wrong, I'll
buy lunch. If not, you will.

Gene Kim-Eng